Gründel ponds in Exceptional Forest®
03 88 06 59 99
Location and access
North of the Haguenau Exceptional Forest, the Gruendel ponds located in the center of a forest crossroads are called "Grunes Wasser" (green ponds). They were dug in 1893 to extract the gravel necessary for the construction of a railway line destroyed during World War II. There are still many vestiges of the line. It is now cleared of trees and brush and used on some portions as a hiking trail. From the month of March, these ponds are breeding grounds for several species of frogs and newts. Around the ponds of Gruendel, there are oil wells exploited until the 1970s. Numerous traces of this activity are still visible, in particular some wells.
Practical information and services
Type of places to visit
Natural environment (reserve, peat bog, flora and fauna ...)