Old castle

Haguenau
Rue du Chateau
67500
Haguenau
+03 88 06 59 99 XNUMX
tourisme@agglo-haguenau.fr
Facebook link
Instagram link

Location and access

  • Old castle
Built in the 12th century, it has now completely disappeared ... But for 250 years, with each passage of the emperor, the residence hosted the crown jewels and the relics of the Passion of Christ. In the 17th century, the castle was dismantled by Vauban for the construction of the citadel of Fort-Louis. Following this dismantling, the Jesuits built a college here. After their expulsion in 1765, the city authorities proposed to the king to receive the soldiers previously housed there. Thus, until the end of the Second World War, the college was transformed into barracks of cavalry. The barracks was bought in 1961 by the Hospices Civils de la Ville located nearby. It now houses one of the city's retirement homes.

Practical information and services

Type of places to visit
Remarkable monument, house or neighborhood
Visit formulas
Free tour

Location

Situation
In the town / village center
Login
Served by a regular bus / tram line