Jewish cemetery

Haguenau
9
tares street
67500
Haguenau
+06 87 12 99 26
jeanlouis.levy@yahoo.fr
Languages ​​spoken
French

Location and access

  • Jewish cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Haguenau is one of the oldest in Alsace. The oldest tomb discovered in the necropolis rue de l'Ivraie is that of Dame Foegle, daughter of Jonas, who died on 3 Nissane 5414 (March 21, 1654). From this time, the cemetery becomes a regional necropolis, there are graves of people from Fort-Louis, Soultz-sous Forêt, Batzendorf, Roeder, Gunstett, Hatten, etc ... The documents attest to several enlargements in 1766, then in 1872. In 1801, the old worm-eaten wooden fence was replaced by a wall and a first small house was built for the mortuary toilet in 1874. The current construction dates from 1887, when the Community acquired a small house for the guard in front of the cemetery.
To the left of the entrance is the tomb of Chief Rabbi Joseph Bloch and his wife. The entire right part of the cemetery contains tombs from the XNUMXth century, and in the portion near the surrounding wall we can see the square of the rabbis from the middle of the XNUMXth century, until the end of the XNUMXth century, namely Lazare Katzenellenbogen, Samuel Halberstadt , Lazarus Bloch. Simon Auscher is buried behind the monument in memory of the deportees, and Joseph Bloch immediately to the right of the entrance. Note the beer mugs supposed to represent the ewers, signs of the Levitical origin of the deceased. The tombs in the shape of a policeman's hat in the large rustic wardrobes of the region are characteristic of the end of the XNUMXth century and the beginning of the XNUMXth century.

Self-guided visit possible by obtaining the leaflet and information on access from the Tourist Office. One-off guided tours for individuals, or on request for groups.

Practical information and services

Duration
45 min
Type of places to visit
Religious site
Visit formulas
Free tour
Visit with guide tool
Guided tour for groups by appointment
Group workforce:
50