Synagogue

Haguenau

3
Rue du Grand Rabbi Bloch
67500
Haguenau
03 88 06 59 99
tourisme@agglo-haguenau.fr
Languages ​​spoken
French

Location and access

  • Synagogue - Emmanuel VIVERGE
  • Synagogue - Emmanuel VIVERGE
  • Synagogue - TMT PHOTO
  • Synagogue - TMT PHOTO
  • Synagogue - TMT PHOTO
The period of calm and the relative increase in the Jewish population at the end of the 1492th century led the Jews to build a new synagogue (in a private house) rue du Sel, in 1677. The synagogue, burnt down by the French troops of the Marquis de Montclar in 1683 was rebuilt in XNUMX.
In 1820 the Community built a veritable synagogue, due to the architect Léopold. The neoclassical architecture of its facade is characteristic of the 1st Empire. Here, freestone and moldings, balusters and cornices were used, introducing a certain monumentality.
During the occupation, the interior of the synagogue was ransacked, and its facade partially damaged by bombardments. At liberation, only the chandelier and some stained-glass windows were still intact; the latter had spent the war in the garden of a notable. After the war, the synagogue was remodeled and inaugurated in 1958. The new stained-glass windows are the work of Ruhlmann, a Hague artist.

Practical information and services

Type of places to visit
Religious site
Remarkable monument, house or neighborhood
Visit formulas
Guided tour for groups by appointment
Opening times
The synagogue is closed to the public.
Addressed to
Groups
Families
Couples
Adults (individuals)

Location

Situation
In the town / village center
Access
Served by a regular bus / tram line
Name of the nearest station
Haguenau
Nearest station (in km)
0,6