The knights tower

Haguenau
Street of the Knights
67500
Haguenau
+03 88 06 59 99 XNUMX
tourisme@agglo-haguenau.fr
Languages ​​spoken
French

Location and access

  • The knights tower
This door tower, of square plan built in bricks around 1235 has a transverse passage vaulted in a broken cradle. It is one of the rare vestiges of urban military architecture in Alsace from the 13th century. This gate tower was part of the 2nd city wall. Besides, at the top, the pinnacle was used to sound the alarm in the event of a threat. But, after the construction of the third enclosure, it lost its utility and sheltered a powder magazine. From 1763 until 1918, it served as a cantonal prison, which explains why the lighting slits, facing the interior of the city, are fitted with bars. The adjoining house was built in 1763 as a prison and gave access to the dungeons of the tower. In 1920 was created the transverse passage doubling that of the tower. The name Tour des Chevaliers could evoke a building occupied in the Middle Ages by valiant warriors, ready to pounce on the enemy. However, this is not the case. The tower owes its name to the Ritter family, which means "knight" in Alsatian, next to the tower.

Practical information and services

Type of places to visit
Remarkable monument, house or neighborhood
Visit formulas
Free tour

Location

Situation
In the town / village center