Church of St. Nicholas

Haguenau
206
High Street
67500
Haguenau
+03 88 73 19 92 XNUMX
+03 88 06 59 99 XNUMX
Parish.st-nicolas@orange.fr
Languages ​​spoken
French

Location and access

  • Church of St. Nicholas
  • Church of St. Nicholas
From the Romanesque church built by the Hohenstaufen family, only the square base of the bell tower remains. The church, unlike others, does not have a cross plan. It constitutes the remains of the foundation of a hospice by Frédéric Barberousse at the time of his departure on a crusade. The tower will remain and will be included around 1300 in the Gothic church. In 1424, the church was enlarged and the neo-Gothic sacristy carried out in 1846. During the Revolution, the parish bought the furniture of the Neubourg convent: the organs, the pulpit, the stalls, the statues of the Church fathers. It forms a remarkable ensemble where the passage from the tormented style of the Baroque to the straight lines of the Louis XVI style can be read. The tower was badly damaged during the war and the bell destroyed. The restoration of the church from 1965 was able to bring out the beautiful lines of Gothic construction in all its purity. The stained glass windows are by Arthur Schouler.

Practical information and services

Type of places to visit
Religious site
Remarkable monument, house or neighborhood
Visit formulas
Free tour
Guided tour for groups by appointment

Location

Situation
In the town / village center