Old castle


Rue du Chateau
03 88 06 59 99
Facebook link
Instagram link

Location and access

  • Old castle - OTP
Built in the 12th century, it has now completely disappeared ... But for 250 years, each time the emperor passed, the residence housed the crown jewels and the relics of the Passion of Christ. In the 17th century, the castle was dismantled by Vauban for the construction of the citadel of Fort-Louis. Following this dismantling, the Jesuits built a college here. After their expulsion in 1765, the city authorities proposed to the king to welcome the soldiers previously lodged with the inhabitants. Thus, until the end of the Second World War, the college was transformed into a cavalry barracks. The barracks were bought in 1961 by the Hospices Civils de la Ville located nearby. It now houses one of the town's retirement homes.

Practical information and services

Type of places to visit
Remarkable monument, house or neighborhood
Visit formulas
Free tour


In the town / village center
Served by a regular bus / tram line